Sunday, December 6, 2009

Zions and Thanksgiving

Just a bit of follow up from Lindsey's post on our Zion's trip. It is very true that the weather was COMPLETELY different than last time we visited. It warmed up to about 60 degrees during the day and as long as the wind wasn't blowing you could hike in short sleeves. It was nice to see Zion with all of the colors, although all of the waterfalls from the rain last time were pretty cool as well.

This is one of our many attempts at a jumping picture we actually got right. It's actually really hard when you can't see the light flashing or hear the countdown beeping coming from the camera!



Hiking food. We decided to buy a loaf of bread, some strawberry jam, and some peanut butter for our hiking lunches. Oh yeah, and some jalapeno Cheetos. Worked pretty well, I highly recommend it.


This is the view from atop Angels Landing. We weren't allowed to hike this last time because it was snow capped and the trail is on a really narrow ridge. We met a really nice French/Canadian/Congolese couple at the top. It was also fun to listen to them make fun of other hikers on the way down since they knew most everyone else couldn't understand them!



It's officially CHRISTMAS TIME!
We picked up our tree last Saturday. Despite the fact that last year our tree was a little overwhelming for our little house, we bought a bigger one this year. We bought a new stand last year so it has managed to stay upright this year as well. The tree marks the official arrival of the Christmas season because Lindsey actually started listening to Christmas music months ago.



Our first real snow this year (it snowed some while we were in Zions, but that doesn't count.) I had decided during the summer that I was going to shovel all of the snow into one main pile in the yard, but upon commencement of the project found that it was logistically challenging...and my hands were frozen because it was taking too long (the winter gloves are still packed away somewhere.) So, keeping the dream alive, I decided that 3 different piles would be sufficient. I guess a man made sledding hill wouldn't be all that great anyway...




3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

The pictures are so beautiful. This reminds me that I want this baby out of me so I can do fun hikes likes this.

Andrea said...

what a fun trip! i love your jumping picture! you guys are so active--i am so impressed! we are also so excited about this time of the year :) your tree looks great!

Ashley and Brent said...

I knew it I just knew it that every time someone is speaking in another language they are making fun of me.