Tuesday, September 20, 2011

26.2? You're crazy!

The saga of my first marathon:

4:15 AM - Why is my alarm going off?
4:20 AM - I think maybe I should get up now, why in the world are races so early in the morning!?!?!
4:30 AM - If only I could get up at 4 every morning to eat bananas and bagels.
4:45 AM - It's raining outside...can I go back to bed?
5:00 AM - Luckily my wife loves me and dropped my off right by the buses.  Why is it still raining?
5:15 AM - How do people fit on these school bus benches?  Oh yeah, they're 8 years old.
5:20 AM - Sorry man next to me, I was asleep and did not mean to put my head on your shoulder as we took the corner.
5:25 AM - Sorry man next to me, I was asleep and did not mean to put my head on your shoulder as we took the corner.
5:30 AM - You get the idea.
6:00 AM - I hope I don't see that man again, and hopefully I didn't drool on him at any point.
6:10 AM - Bathroom stop #1
6:30 AM - Found Hyrum and Wade among 2000 people.  Why is it still raining?
6:57 AM - Bathroom stop #2, cutting it close.  Why is it now POURING!?
7:05 AM - Why do all of these people that are hardly moving insist on starting at the front?  At least now it's only misting.
7:40 AM - Hmm, 10k split, that seems like a good distance, am I done yet?
8:10 AM - What is dripping off my head, down my back, and sloshing in my shoes?  I think I will take off my arm warmers, wring a gallon or two out, and put them back on.
8:20 AM - HAIL????  You have got to be kidding me.
8:40 AM - LIGHTNING???? Am I supposed to die today??  13 miles...I really like half marathons, am I done yet?
8:50 AM - Was that sunlight?  Nope, must have been car headlights bouncing off the river I'm running in.
9:00 AM - Yeah, my cheering section!  Does this mean I have to keep running?
9:30 AM - I don't think they can advertise this as a downhill race.
10:00 AM - Does anyone hear that screaming?  It must be close, it sounds like it's right in my ear.
10:30 AM - That screaming is getting louder and seems to be following me, good thing I can finally see the finish line.
10:37 AM - People say they cry when they finish a marathon because it's such an accomplishment, I think it's really because they don't realize how bad their legs hurt until they stop moving.  Maybe it's just me.

The wrap up:
Everyone wants to know, would I do it again?  Sure, why not?  Will I do it again?  Who knows. 

Cheering section.  Apparently Camie didn't want to be in the picture...

Ouch, my calves, ouch, my calves, ouch, my calves...mmm, chocolate milk

This is much better...watching people run!

This was all Hyrum's fault.  Was it worth the moose bling?  Maybe...

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

Jace, your time is amazing by the way. Way to go. Welcome to the 26.2 mile club. I hope you got a sticker for your car (or truck). Of course you will do another one. I hear anyone can run 1 marathon, it takes a real man to run 2. Just think about it.

Unknown said...

Ha! Definitely the most entertaining marathon recap I've ever read. And more than likely the closest I'll ever get to actually running a marathon!