This is the story of our last two weekends, which included two halves...and the whole. The first half was October 8th, and it was Lindsey's half marathon. This was her first half after having our adorable little boy 5 months ago. Needless to say, she is awesome and met her goal of staying under 2 hours. She had some friends join her in doing the races and they all went out to breakfast after. And they all lived happily ever after.
The next half was my own. I decided last minute to join the Blakey boys at the SOJO half marathon. I wanted to do at least one more half this fall. I presented the idea to Lindsey as a no-brainer. They offer free entry to the top 3 finishers in each age group. I reasoned that based on last years results I would be 1st place in my age division. Well, those slow pokes from last year didn't show up this year, or maybe the word got out about the free entry. In either case, some fast people, I'm sure they train for Nike professionally, showed up to race this year. Luckily I was able to finish 3rd in my age group and therefore still achieved my goal. I can only imagine how long I would have been doing dishes and scrubbing toilets for Lindsey to pay off the debt otherwise.
I don't currently have a picture of my finish, but you can pretend it's inserted here if you want.
Lastly, the whole. You may wonder what this "whole" is. Well, after my half this last Saturday we travelled virtually the WHOLE state of Utah from north to south. That may sound like a bit of hyperbole...and it is, but it's not as far from the truth as we might like it to be. We headed down to Moab to visit Canyonlands National Park. We had all of our camping gear, and figured if for some reason we couldn't find a camp spot in the dark, we would just take a hotel for a night and find a spot the next day. Much to our dismay we found that an extra 1500 (or more!) camp sites and/or hotel rooms were taken because there was a half marathon in Moab on Sunday. After cursing the fact that we are too cheap to pay for the data plan on an Iphone and furiously calling any and everyone we knew, we ended up driving all the way to Monticello for a room at the Monticello Inn. It seemed nice enough, although a survey of the area the next morning indicated the town was much smaller than it appeared at night, they must have had 3 street lights for every building in town. Nonetheless, this gave us the opportunity to visit the southern end of the park that we otherwise likely wouldn't have seen. The park was quite enjoyable and we loved all of the comments and looks we got trudging along the trails with Gavin in tow. He loved it! Everything except the time in the car seat it took to get there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am SO jealous of that picture with all the girlies. I wish I would have just bucked up and done it. I am a baby. And then you have to go and rub salt in the wound and talk about South Jordan...my time was also smashed this year, so don't feel bad Jace. So, I guess we will have to get together next year cause I am gonna be doing it!
What happened to your baby? All I see is this cute little boy. Lindsey, you look amazing. Jace, in the pretend photo in my head at your finish I could tell you were booking it. You guys are so fun and busy and happy. Anymore races planned for the year?
And Jace, I am thinking about doing the Top of Utah marathon next fall. Do you recommend it or is there another one you've heard is better?
Maren: I liked Top of Utah, but both Ogden and St George are supposedly better races. Ogden fills up really quickly and was ranked one of the best organized in the US by runners world and of course St George is by lottery only because it's so popular. I didn't really look into it too much because our neighbor chose the race and I just signed up. I felt lime it was pretty organized though... if only they has ordered better weather.
So, apparently, it's been waaaay too long since I read your blog. I'm officially stalking you now, so now I just have to get caught up. :)
Post a Comment